Out-of-State Waiver Information

Current Officer Looking to Relocate to Utah?

  • If you are a current law enforcement officer or correctional officer in another state, Utah can waive your attendance at a Utah police academy.
  • Upon successful completion of the waiver process, Utah POST will issue a certification equivalent to what you currently hold in your home state.
  • This would allow you to immediately begin service as a peace officer in Utah once you are employed with an agency.

To Waive Into Utah

1. Send an email request for an application to POST - email them at [email protected] - in your email, state you need to apply for the waiver process. Complete the application they send you, which will include a fingerprint card.
   2. Pass a knowledge exam.
    NOTE: This knowledge exam is limited to constitutional principles and Utah Statute and is open book. Find Utah code here or by clicking on the button below.
Go to Utah Code
3. Pass the physical fitness test.
Table lists the PT standards for Utah SFOs and LEOS


If you have further questions regarding this process, please visit:
Or the POST support team at: [email protected]

Get More Lateral Transfer Information