The minimum requirements are:

  • High school diploma or GED
  • Age 21 and over
  • United States citizen or a lawful resident of the United States who has been in the United States legally for at least five(5) years AND has legal authorization to work in the United States.
    Yes, the UHP still does require the NPOST. We require a passing score of 70% in each category. An applicant must complete the NPOST test by the completion of the Physical Assessment Test. The NPOST is offered at most College or University Testing Centers and the cost is $30. The NPOST consists of four categories (Math, Reading, Writing, and Grammar).
    No, you will need to possess a valid Class D Driver License and if hired you will be required to get a valid Utah Driver License.

    If I am out of state, can I apply?

    Yes, we accept applications from out of state. During the hiring process for an out-of-state applicant, you will be required to come to Utah on two separate occasions over a period of 6 months.

    How long is the hiring process and what does it include?

    The hiring process takes about 4-6 months to complete, in those months you will go through:

    • Physical Assessment
    • Frontline Testing
    • Captains Interview
    • Background Investigation
    • Majors Interview
    • Polygraph Examination
    • Psychological Evaluation
    • Medical Examination

    Does UHP have a maximum age to apply?

    No, we do not have a maximum age limit.

    Does UHP accept lateral transfers?

    Yes. If you are an in-state lateral transfer you can apply during any of the open recruitment periods.

    For out-of-state lateral transfers, you may apply during any open recruitment period. You will need to contact POST to take the LEO Waiver Test.

    You will have the entire hiring process to become certified in Utah. If by the time you are offered a position and do not pass the LEO Waiver Test you will have the option to attend the academy.

    For both in-state and out-of-state laterals, the UHP will match your years in up to 11 years. Contact the recruiter for more information on the pay scale.

    If I am hired as a lateral transfer, do I still attend the academy?

    The UHP has a 6-week Trooper Academy that you will attend, this academy is tailored to UHP Policy and Standards.

    Read more about Academy Information here.

    How long is the academy? Where is it? Is it live-in?

    The Utah POST academy is located in Sandy, Utah. It is 16 weeks long.

    If you live within 50 miles of the academy you will commute Monday through Friday. If you live further than 50 miles you will be eligible for a dorm room Sunday night through Friday. Cadets staying in the dorms are allowed to return home Friday after class and return to POST Sunday evening. Dorm arrangements can be made for out-of-state new hires. Dorm eligibility is determined on a case-by-case basis.

    Read more about Academy Information here.

    Do I get paid during the academy?

    Yes, if you are not pre-certified and we are sponsoring you through the academy that means you will be getting paid to attend POST.

    Is there reimbursement if I self-sponsor through the academy?

    Yes. UHP is offering a $5,000 training reimbursement given to those who recently self-sponsored through a Utah POST satellite academy

    Where will I be assigned after the academy?

    The UHP will ask each applicant for preferences when they are going through the hiring process. If the applicant makes it to the job offer we will attempt to get the applicant in one of the preferences they listed. Oftentimes the new Trooper is sent to a location on their preference list, but it is not a guarantee. Once you have completed one year in your initial assigned area, you can apply for transfers.

    Does the UHP have a tattoo policy?

    Yes. The policy of the Utah Highway Patrol is that a Trooper cannot have any visible tattoos while wearing our Class “C” or short sleeve uniform. If you have a tattoo that you are willing to remove the Utah Highway Patrol allows for an applicant to go through the hiring process and if hired, they will have 18 months to get the tattoo removed from the hire date.

    Does the UHP allow any waivers for the tattoo policy?

    No. There aren’t any waivers for the tattoo policy.

    Can I wear a sleeve/makeup or another type of masking material to cover my tattoos if visible in a short sleeve uniform?

    No. The Utah Highway Patrol does not allow any coverings for tattoos otherwise visible in a short sleeve uniform.

    What could potentially disqualify me from the hiring process?

    Read about potentially disqualifying factors here.